December has begun and Christmas is fast approaching, bringing with it gifts and fun parties for countless families across the country. Most already have their holiday plans, whether it’s staying in for some well-deserved rest and relaxation, or going out on a vacation for the highly anticipated family reunions.
It is a great time, but sometimes not everyone can make these trips. We’re talking about pets, our precious, cuddly companions who, for many reasons, have to stay behind. Some of us are happy to include them as part of our gatherings but there are times when this just isn’t possible.
Maybe they’re too big and can’t fit in the car. Perhaps the owners can’t afford taking them on plane trips. Placing beloved pets in the cargo area might too traumatic. Some relatives may have allergies or the host’s place might be too small. These are just some of the reasons why precious pets can get left behind.
Staying at home doesn’t mean Milo has to be by himself, though. Owners can turn these occasions into opportunities to introduce their fur-babies to new friends while they are away.
You can start by…
- …asking around and starting early. Finding a trustworthy and affordable quality pet care provider at the last minute is a challenge. But advanced preparation and planning makes things easier.
- Looking for affordable pet sitting services and local pet boarders.
- Making inquiries with the local pet friendly communities like neighborhood dog or cat watchers. Those too far from the area can point you to the right way.
- If you have a friend in a similar situation, you can help each other out. What can be better than sharing pet care responsibilities?
Enfavr is designed to help people in these situations. Post a request for a pet sitter and give your furry friend the gift of a new family for Christmas!
After finding a caring pet care host, consider these helpful tips on what to do next:
- Make sure your Enfavr friend is in town for the holidays and up for the task.
- Inform him or her ahead of time of the necessary pet care routines and of any special requirements.
- Don’t forget to give the vet’s number in case of emergencies and stock up on the needed food, meds and other supplies.
- A vaccination history record is a definite must.
Ideally, have your adorable little one and the sitter meet each other ahead of time. It is more efficient if Milo has an established a bond with your pet sitter. But if you can’t – don’t sweat it. Make sure your new pet sitter is a loving and caring person who’s great with animals.
It is even better if the pet host has his own pets too, especially, if your fur-baby is a sociable type. Milo will have all the warm company he needs and also someone to share his X-mas spoils with.
But wait! Remind your buddy that eggnogs can’t be shared with pets.
According to Dr. Tony Buffington, clinical nutritionist at the Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, holiday dinners are meant for sharing, but not everything on your table is safe for your pet. For more do’s and don’ts regarding holiday foods for your pets, check out this article by Karen Gibb on Today.com.
If you’re out for a long time, why not go from pet sitting to pet boarding?
Having your pet be the one to stay over so the pet care giver won’t have to travel. Maybe your neighbor’s daughter wants to know what it’s like to have a pet? This would be a perfect way for her to experience not only the joys of caring for a pet, but also familiarize herself with its responsibilities.
Your beloved four-legged-friend can have a new or not-so-new friend for company while you’re away.
Now you have a trusted neighbor as a pet sitter. For sure, you’ll be willing to do the same and reciprocate when it is your turn, right? After all, that’s what neighbors are for.
The bond between people and their pets is magical, growing when shared with others and augmented with trust. Doing something different this holiday will make it memorable for you and your pet. Build it up as time goes by and create a community of pet lovers who’ll exchange Favrs and share the responsibilities of pet caring.
When you get back, get ready to be greeted by furry balls of energy giving you wet licks of affection while wildly wagging their tails! Those heart-melting puppy dog eyes just begging for belly rubs is a sight to be cherished!